Jumpstart your day with a bowl filled with superfoods that is easy to prepare, pop in the fridge before bed and enjoy as soon as you wake up…no cooking required! This supercharged oatmeal combination can be eaten raw because the overnight soaking process makes the oatmeal easily digestible and even more nutritious.
~MM healthy tip: Nutrition and overnight soaking
- You should always soak your oatmeal first, especially if you are eating it raw (and I just recently learned it is beneficial to soak oats you intend to cook, too!)
- Why? Oatmeal, along with other grains, nuts, and seeds, have an outer layer containing phytic acid which binds to vitamins and minerals in our intestines and blocks their absorption. Soaking helps neutralize phytic acid and other enzyme inhibitors and breaks down substances to make them more easily digested.
- Oats and grains have so many nutritious benefits and vitamins that are maximally gained by soaking in liquid (especially a slightly acidic medium like yogurt)
- For more information: thenourishinggourmet, nourishedkitchen
Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Overnight Super-Oats
- ⅓ cup rolled oats (and/or other grains- my favorite is a mix of Bob’s 5 grain rolled whole grain cereal and 10 grain hot cereal, which include oats, rye, barley, oat bran, etc)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (I used Fage Total 0% plain)
- ¼ cup milk of your choice (soy, hemp, almond, coconut, or a combination!)
- ¼ cup pure pumpkin
- 2 tsp PB2 powdered peanut butter
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- ¼ cup dried super fruits (goji berries, golden berries, mulberries)
- Mashed date (I smash up ½ coconut date roll from Whole Foods’ bulk section)
- (Optional) 1 tbsp blend of super powders (Navitas Naturals Superfood blend of hemp, cacao, and maca)
Makes 2 servings.
Per serving (using unsweetened soymilk): 210 calories, 4.5 g fat (mono- and poly-unsaturated), 30 g carbs, 12 g protein
Mix ingredients together in a bowl or jar (add milk last), and mix up! The consistency should be a little soupier than desired (but not watery).
Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
In the morning, it should be a nice thick consistency because the chia seeds, oats and whatnot will have absorbed a bunch of liquid. Add more milk if it’s too thick.
You can eat your overnight oats cold or warm it up in the microwave and top with whatever additional toppings and fruit you have! I love to add fresh fruit (berries, banana, etc) and soaked nuts (almonds and walnuts are my favorites) and sprinkle with more cinnamon!